Let's Make a
by Ali Spittel
- Talk a little about my story
- Talk about why you should blog
- Brainstorm some blog niches
- Brainstorm some blog posts
- Outline a blog post
- Discuss how to gain a readership
How I Started
What I'm Doing Now
Some of my Stats
- Reinforce your knowledge on topics.
- Demonstrate your knowledge.
Build a community and meet other people who have similar interests
to your own.
- Challenge yourself and keep yourself accountable.
Help people who are learning the topic you are blogging about!
Part 1: Your Blog in General
What do you want to write about?
- Start with a small niche -- you can expand in the future
- Having a challenge for yourself could help
- Do some research and see what works
- Will there still be enough to write about a year from now?
Who do you want your audience to be?
Decide whether you want your posts to target complete beginners,
casual developers, experts, etc. Write to that audience.
There will be more beginners than experts in most cases, so that
audience will be bigger
- Have one person in mind, or a small group of people
- Think about the tone that will appeal to that audience
How will you pitch yourself to your audience?
You don't have to be an expert, but why are you writing about your
- Who are you? What fires you up? Be personal here!
Do you want to create a name for your blog?
If you are blogging for personal branding or job purposes, blog as
If you have a very concrete theme or want to really grow
your blog, you probably want a name
Activity 1: Let's Brainstorm!
- What do you want to write about?
- Who do you want your audience to be?
- Brainstorm your about page.
Part 2: Blog Post Topics
- Don't worry too much about having a totally unique topic
- Write the blog post that would have helped past you
- Reach out to your network
- Check out forum sites
- Share your unique story
- Write them down!
- Content calendar
Tips for Titles
- Catchy but honest
Activity 2: Let's Think about Posts!
Part 3: Content
- Rough Draft
Tips for Content
- Make sure your content is accurate
- Make sure it is geared towards your target audience
- Don't use walls of text
- Identify key words for SEO
- Optimal post length is 2,000 and 3,000 words
Activity 3: Let's Outline a Post!
- Post Title
- Key Words
- Media you may include
- Outline your post
Part 4: Publishing
Where will you publish?
- Medium (Women Who Code)
- Your own site
- Nobody's going to read my post
- I'm not experienced enough to write about this
- What if my code is wrong? Or I got a detail wrong?
- What if people are mean on the internet?
Where to Get Readers
- Be Consistent
- Build a newsletter
- Use analytics tools
- Post to other people's blogs
- Link to your other posts
- Social Media
- RSS Feed
Activity 4: Let's Strategize!
- Where are you going to post?
- How are you going to publicize your post?
Q & A
Send me your posts!