Let's Make a
by Ali Spittel
- Talk a little about my story
- Talk about why you should blog
- Brainstorm some blog niches
- Brainstorm some blog posts
- Outline a blog post
- Discuss how to gain a readership
How I Started
What I'm Doing Now
Some of my Stats
- Reinforce your knowledge on topics.
- Demonstrate your knowledge.
- Build a community and meet other people who have similar interests to your own.
- Challenge yourself and keep yourself accountable.
- Help people who are learning the topic you are blogging about!
Part 1: Your Blog in General
What do you want to write about?
- Start with a small niche -- you can expand in the future
- Having a challenge for yourself could help
- Do some research and see what works
- Will there still be enough to write about a year from now?
Who do you want your audience to be?
- Decide whether you want your posts to target complete beginners, casual developers, experts, etc. Write
to that audience.
- There will be more beginners than experts in most cases, so that audience will be bigger
- Have one person in mind, or a small group of people
- Think about the tone that will appeal to that audience
How will you pitch yourself to your audience?
- You don't have to be an expert, but why are you writing about your topic?
- Who are you? What fires you up? Be personal here!
Do you want to create a name for your blog?
- If you are blogging for personal branding or job purposes, blog as yourself
- If you have a very concrete theme or want to really grow your blog, you probably want a name
- More here
Activity 1: Let's Brainstorm!
- What do you want to write about?
- Who do you want your audience to be?
- Brainstorm your about page.
Part 2: Blog Post Topics
- Don't worry too much about having a totally unique topic
- Write the blog post that would have helped past you
- Reach out to your network
- Check out forum sites
- Share your unique story
- Write them down!
- Content calendar
Tips for Titles
- Catchy but honest
Activity 2: Let's Think about Posts!
Part 3: Content
- Rough Draft
Tips for Content
- Make sure your content is accurate
- Make sure it is geared towards your target audience
- Don't use walls of text
- Identify key words for SEO
- Optimal post length is 2,000 and 3,000 words
Activity 3: Let's Outline a Post!
- Post Title
- Key Words
- Media you may include
- Outline your post
Part 4: Publishing
Where will you publish?
- Medium (Women Who Code)
- Your own site
- Nobody's going to read my post
- I'm not experienced enough to write about this
- What if my code is wrong? Or I got a detail wrong?
- What if people are mean on the internet?
Where to Get Readers
- Be Consistent
- Build a newsletter
- Use analytics tools
- Post to other people's blogs
- Link to your other posts
- Social Media
- RSS Feed
Activity 4: Let's Strategize!
- Where are you going to post?
- How are you going to publicize your post?
Q & A
Send me your posts!